There can be some advantages to buying a pre-owned certified car from a new car dealer. Most vehicle manufacturers have certification programs but there are some differences from one manufacturer to another. This article will examine the Mercedes pre-owned vehicle certified program for what the qualifications are for certification as well as the benefits.
Mercedes-Benz Used Certified Vehicle Qualifications
Each car manufacturer has a basic set of rules for the minimum qualifications of pre-owned certification status. The basic rules for all manufacturers include age limits and mileage limits. Each vehicle must also pass a comprehensive vehicle inspection. The following are Mercedes-Benz’s qualification requirements
- certified vehicles can go back up to 6 model years
- must pass a 162-point mechanical and appearance inspection
- inspection performed by trained Mercedes-Benz technicians
Mercedes-Benz Preowned Certified Warranty Coverage
Certified used Mercedes come with a 12-month (from the date of delivery of used vehicle) or 100,000 accumulated mile limited warranty, whichever comes first. New Mercedes come with a 4-year or 50,000-mile warranty. If the used vehicle purchased has less than 4/50, the remainder of the new vehicle warranty will apply. The following component categories are covered under the certified 12-month, 100,000-mile warranty.
- brakes (excludes wear of pads and rotors)
- electrical system
- the climate control system
Benefits of Buying a Used Certified Mercedes-Benz
- no deductible on covered warranty repairs
- lower financing rates than non-certified used cars
- parts used for reconditioning are genuine Mercedes-Benz parts
- free CarFax vehicle history report
- tire tread depth must be 50% or better across the tire or the tires are replaced
- brake lining must have 50% or better remaining or they get replaced
- reconditioning performed by factory-trained technicians
- free roadside assistance for the life of the vehicle
Mercedes-Benz Pre-Owned Certified Exchange
A unique feature of the Mercedes certified used car is their exchange privilege program. If the customer isn’t satisfied with their pre-owned purchase, they can exchange the vehicle with another certified used car of equal or greater value. To take advantage of the exchange privilege, the vehicle must be returned to the original selling dealer before 7 calendar days or 500 miles, whichever comes first.
There are certainly some advantages to buying a certified used Mercedes-Benz. How do Mercedes pre-owned certified vehicles compare to other car manufacturers? A new leased vehicle could also be another option for a lower monthly payment.